Okay I get it, we are all very emotional right now and with good reason. We just elected a new President and only about half of you voted for him. However!!!! That is not an excuse to be an asshole. Yes, I get it, he’s this, that and the other. Did I vote for him? No, I didn’t but that doesn’t mean I now get free reign to spread negativity and hate all around the internet at my friends and family because my candidate lost. I know a lot of people are taking the lose personally, well don’t. Just don’t.
Also, I know there are many warning signs and we are all a bit nervous about them (Berlin wall was meant to keep people out but it in effect kept people in), the whole Holocaust thing and his similarities in that aspect too. But! Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it, well we are not ignorant of these events. We are very much aware of them and we can hence make changes to avoid steering our country in that direction. Further division amongst ourselves, especially caused by ourselves, is not the answer. They try to divide us on every plane and aspect that they can, don’t do that for them. Don’t help them to divide us as people. I mean fuck! We all share the same planet, the same sun, the same moon, and currently the same country. Yes, we look different but we are all the same underneath are we not? If you can’t reconcile that thought then take this into consideration…You are not better than or less than anyone else out there. We are all humans, making mistakes and learning on the way. Some of us had a systematic advantage or disadvantage over others, if you lucked out and were born into a family who is well off and in the majority then good for you, but don’t go around looking down on those who weren’t. And if you were born on the other side of that coin, as a minority with a family who had to struggle to keep food on the table and pay the bills, that is where you came from, not who you are. You can do better and don’t let anyone else tell you that you can’t. It’s still better than some people who literally have nothing. Don’t be hateful or resentful of those who have more than you. Set goals instead to achieve the things you want, not hate those who have what you don’t.
If you are not sure how not to be an asshole start with this:
- Recognize that we all come from different perspectives, your view of the world is not the same as anyone else’s. It was shaped by your personal life experiences and circumstances, your family, your culture, the year you were born etc. How can you with any certainty say that your thoughts are correct and everyone else’s are wrong?
- Even if you disagree with the way other people live their life, specifically their love life and who they choose as partners, leave them alone. That is none of your fucking business. In a world where we struggle to find love let people who love each other be with each other. Sorry if it doesn’t agree with your religion or preference but not everyone believes the same thing as you do (refer to #1).
- You are not your body and neither is that person of another color. They are not their body. We are spiritual beings having a physical experience. So how dare you judge another because of the body they were born into? Worry about your own vessel.
- If you cannot accept these things at least attempt to tolerate them.
- If you cannot tolerate them then ask yourself why you harbor so much hate and resentment? Who or what are you really angry at?
- Put yourself in their shoes. Before you go and do something mean or nasty to someone based on your narrow minded ideals ask how you would feel if someone did or said those things to you or someone you cared about. Don’t make excuses about how you never would, that’s not what I said, I said just imagine if someone was that way towards you, would you like it?
- You don’t have to agree with someone in order to respect them or be kind, so if you don’t agree then do so to yourself, if you have to say something say it in a way that doesn’t attack the other person directly. If you really do know better then teach, don’t belittle.
How to be a good person (for you over-achievers out there)
- Stand up for those who are being put down. If you see someone being mean to someone else who doesn’t deserve it, don’t just stand there and watch. You don’t even have to confront the bully but at least stand by the victim and let them know someone cares.
- Lead by example, we have a whole new generation of Americans that we are raising. They are watching us and what we do, not just what we say. You want to end racism (or any other type of hateful bias) start there. Start with yourself. Educate your children. Show them to form their opinions of people by their actions not by their appearance. Also, teach them that their self-worth comes from within, not form the outside or what other people say or think about them.
- Be grateful. Simple right? Find one thing, anything, that makes you grateful and hold on to that feeling for as long as you can. Stretch it out see how long you can make it last. Your positive vibe will affect those around you.
- Don’t return hate with hate. I know that is hard. I know it’s almost instinct now-a-days but we can change that. Let’s be tolerant of those who don’t quite get it yet. I am not even going to say you have to be kind but at least don’t drop to their level of ignorance because at the end of the day that is what hate is, ignorance. If you got the opportunity to really see someone else and the struggles that that person has gone through and survived you’d probably fall in love. I know there are exceptions to every rule but I feel for the most part this is true.
- Everyone has something to teach you and you can teach something to everyone else. Just keep that in mind.
Focus on the good, you create by giving energy to things. Your thoughts are energy. If you are constantly thinking about what is wrong that is what you are creating. Plus try this, spend one minute thinking of all the bad things that could go wrong, then ask yourself how you feel. Then spend a whole minute thinking about all that could go right, even if it is a stretch, just imagine. See how you feel after that minute. Which feels better?
Yea shit can seem kind of scary right now but it doesn’t have to be. Our future isn’t in the hands of any one person unless we continue to believe that it is. Start believing in yourself and the power of the human collective consciousness. You want heaven on earth, start with your little piece of self. Find peace and love within yourself and soon, I promise, you will start to see it in others. Most of all, please don’t give up, we’ve made it this far, if we go out let’s not go out without a fight. Spread love or die trying.
What are somethings that you do to help yourself stay positive?